English / Greek / Italian
2009 – 2012 PHD and EUROPEAN DOCTORATE in ARCHITECTURAL AND URBAN DESIGN at Politecnico di Milano, Italy
2005 – 2007 MASTER OF ARCHITECTURE at University of Hartford, CT, USA
2001 – 2005 BACHELOR OF SCIENCE in ARCHITECTURAL ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY at University of Hartford, CT, USA
1998 – 2001 Enfield High School, CT, USA
1995 – 1998 8ο Γυμνάσιο Καλαμαριάς, Thessaloniki, Greece
PROFESSIONAL & SCHOLARLY EXPERIENCE
01.2009 – present Architectural Researcher
09.2015 – present Senior Lecturer at METROPOLITAN COLLEGE – MArch ARCHITECTURE & URBANISM (RIBA Part 2), Athens, Greece. Current courses: “Architectural History and Theory: Introduction,” “Architectural History and Theory: Application,” “Thesis Dissertation”. Previous courses: “Architectural Studio: Strategy” (2016-2018), “Architectural Studio: Synthesis” (2016-2018)
09.2013 – 05.2014 Visiting Scholar at NEW YORK UNIVERSITY – CENTER FOR EUROPEAN AND MEDITERRANEAN STUDIES, NY, USA
01.2012 –10.2013 Architectural Research Fellow at ATHENA Research and Innovation Center, Xanthi, Greece
12.2012 – 01.2013 Architectural Research Associate at EUPOLIS LOMBARDIA, Milan, Italy
03.2011 – 06.2011 Visiting Scholar & Tutor at ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI, Greece. Course tutor: “Introduction to the Organization of Urban Space” / Prof. Alexandra Yerolympos
02.2011 – 03.2011 International Workshop Participant. ECOWEEK: INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP FOR ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN in Thessaloniki, Greece. Project title: “An Emerging Corridor for Thessaloniki” / Group leaders: Io Karydi, George Hargreaves (Hargreaves Associates, UK)
03.2010 – 07.2010 International Workshop Participant. POLITECNICO DI MILANO Department of Urban & Architectural Design, EXPO 2015. Project title: “The city as a mosaic of cultures” / Workshop leader: Arch.Cino Zucchi.
03.2010 – 07.2010 International Workshop Participant. POLITECNICO DI MILANO Department of Urban & Architectural Design, Western Milan Workshop. Project title: “Research and analysis of open spaces along the Naviglio District” / Workshop leader: Arch.Ilaria Valente.
10.2009 – 02.2010 International Workshop Participant. POLITECNICO DI MILANO Department of Urban & Architectural Design, Description and interpretation of the architectonic, urban and environmental forms; Theories and Techniques. Project title: “The inter-model junction of ‘Placa de les Glories Catalanes” / Workshop leader: Arch.Guya Bertelli.
10.2009 – 01.2010 Teaching assistant at POLITECNICO DI MILANO, Italy. Course: “Architectural Theory and Practice” (Masters level) / Prof. Ilaria Valente
06.2009 – 07.2009 International Workshop Participant. INTERNATIONAL PHD SUMMER SCHOOL in Bergamo, Italy. Workshop theme: “Progetti, strategie, ricerche per la città contemporanea.” Project title: “Urban limits and intervals for the definition of public open urban spaces in area Trucca” / Group leaders: Arch.Cassandra Cozza, Arch.Francesca Schepis
10.2007 – 12.2008 Contract Professor & Engineering Dept. Coordinator at MEDITERRANEAN COLLEGE of Thessaloniki, Greece. Courses: “Design Principles and Applications,” “Design Procedures,” “Refurbishment and Adaptation,” “Interior Design,” “Design Technology,” “Individual Project”
09.2006 – 05.2007 Research Assistant on published book: Shank-Smith, K. (2008). Architect’s Sketches: Dialogue and Design. Hudson, NY: Architectural Press.
09.2006 – 05.2007 Adjunct Professor at UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD, CT, USA. Courses: “Introduction to Architectural Process (studio),” “Architectural Design I (studio)”
07.2006 – 09.2006 Junior Architect at AMMENTA/EMMA ARCHITECTS, Hartford, CT, USA
01.2006 – 05.2006 Teaching Assistant at UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD, CT, USA. Course: “Introduction to Architectural Process” / Prof. James Fuller
09.2005 – 05.2006 Teaching Assistant at UNIVERSITY OF HARTFORD, CT, USA. Courses: “Ancient-Renaissance Architecture,” “19th&20th Century Architecture” / Prof. Ira Hessmer
03.2005 – 05.2005 Junior Architect at COX ARCHITECTS, Glastonbury, CT, USA
AWARDS & EXHIBITIONS/ DISTINCTIONS
SOLO ART EXHIBITION / 2019 Hotel Belle Hellene, Vathi, Mani, Greece. Under the umbrella of “Homoioi of Mani” – Days of Physiology Conference (04-06 Oct.2019)
ACADEMIC & ATHLETIC EXCELLENCE AWARD / 2019 By the Metropolitan College of Athens (degrees ceremony). Megaron: The Athens Concert Hall, Greece.
SOLO ART EXHIBITION / 2018 Hotel Belle Hellene, Vathi, Mani, Greece. Under the umbrella of “Homoioi of Mani” – Days of Physiology Conference (21-23 Sept.2018)
EUROPAN12 Adaptable City / 2013 6th place out of 27 entries: “Slow Flow” Konstanz-Kreuzlingen. Group: Jun Ho Chen (IT), Igor Noev (MK), Stefanie Leontiadis (US)
Travel Grant Adapt-r Fellowship / 2013 Marie Curie Initial Training Network_Creative Practice Research ( 1 of 5 finalists) to Brussels, Belgium.
DOCTOR EUROPAEUS CERTIFICATE / 2012 in Architectural and Urban Design, Milan, Italy. External Europ.supervisors: Enric Massip-Bosch (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunia, Barcelona), Francisco Arques Soler (Universidad Politecnica de Madrid)
SOLO ART EXHIBITION / 2011-2012 “Diversity in Education” Under the umbreall of ‘Seek Meet Speak’ School of English Language, Triadi, Thessaloniki, Greece.
IPHS Young Researchers’ Session Achievement Award in Research / 2010 – 1st place. International Planning History Society. Istanbul, Turkey
International PhD Fellowship in Urban & Architectural Design / 2009 – 1st prize for a 3-year grant for PhD Full Scholarship at the Politecnico di Milano, Italy
University Sketching Contest / 2007 – 1st prize. University of Hartford, CT, USA
MArch Project Competition / 2006 – 2nd prize. University of Hartford, CT, USA
Connecticut Architecture Foundation Scholarship / 2006. CT, USA
Other honors/distinctions/scholarships, pre-2006: Capitol Scholarship Award; President’s Honor List (5 semesters); Connecticut Epsilon Chapter of Tau Alpha Pi National Honor Society; National College Honor Scholarship Society; Society of Women Engineers; National Collegiate Engineering Award Winner (NCEA); Junior Regents Honor Award; Sid Schwartz Scholarship; Anita B.MacDonald Scholarship; School of Technology student council member; Construction Institute of America; Scholar Athlete Awards (5 total); Women in Sports Award; America East All Conference Award in track and field
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
10.2015 ABITARE INSIEME (LIVING TOGETHER): Shared Dimension of the Project of the Future, Int’l Conference / “Creative Process and Historicism; syntactic layers of public open urban space” (speaker) / Universitá degli Studi di Napoli Federico II / Naples, Italy
09.2013 EUROPEAN HERITAGE DAYS – FACES OF TIME: European Cultural Itineraries Crossroads: The Impact of heritage, Planning and Sustainability / “Strategies for Revitalization & Re-Use as a Heritage Management Process” (keynote speaker) / Thessaloniki, Greece
06.2013 ATRIUM Sixth Transnational Project Meeting South-East Europe / Architecture of Totalitarian Regimes of the XXo Century in Urban Management / “The Sustainability of Cultural Routes via Innovative Digital Heritage Applications and Services” (speaker) / Forlì, Italy
10.2012 ATRIUM Fourth Transnational Project Meeting South-East Europe / Architecture of Totalitarian Regimes of the XXo Century in Urban Management / “ATRIUM Digital Application Tool” (speaker) / Sofia, Bulgaria
09.2011 BRANDED SPACES: Int’l Conference on Contemporary Branding / “Defining a Methodological Syntax for the Architectural Interventions in Historically Significant Public Open Urban Spaces” (keynote speaker) / Karlsruhe, Germany
09.2011 PHIDAC III: Int’l Symposium for students of doctoral studies / “The architecture of public open urban spaces; how to define a syntax in the contemporary urban environment” (speaker) / Novi Sad, Serbia
06.2011 EURA: European Urban Research Association / “Syntactic evaluations and definitions for the successful implementation of primary and secondary public open urban spaces” (speaker) / Copenhagen, Denmark
03.2011 ECOWEEK: Int’l Conference & Workshops for Architecture & Design / George Hargreaves & Io Karydi (Hargreaves Associates, UK) /“An Emerging Corridor for Thessaloniki” (speaker) / Thessaloniki, Greece
07.2010 14th IPHS: Int’l Planning History Society / “Transforming Urban Space by Creating ‘Civic Art’; Defining What the Term Means” (speaker) / Istanbul, Turkey
06.2010 EURAU’10: European Symposium on Research in Architecture and Urban Design / “Venustas of Civic Art; Defining Beauty through Semiotic Communication” (speaker) / Naples, Italy
06.2010 ARQUITECTONICS INTERNATIONAL REVIEW: Third (Extraordinary) Int’l Seminar Arquitectonics Network / “Defining Civic Art Through Semiotic Connections” (speaker) / Barcelona, Spain
Art Media: Oil paints, watercolors, color pencils, pencils and ink
Architecture/Graphic Design: AutoCAD, Autodesk 2D/3D, SketchUpPro(3D), Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design, Microsoft Office
(26) Gubic, I. and Leontiadis, S. (2018). Ranko Radovic’s Urban Design Research for Main Public Spaces in Vojvodina’s Cities. Gradja: pp.157-167. Material for the Study of the Cultural Monuments of Vojvodina XXXI, The Provincial Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments 21131 Petrovaradin, Strosmajerova 22. ISSN 0434-300X, COBISS.SR-ID 6565132.
(25) Leontiadis, S. (2015). Creative Process and Historicism; syntactic layers of public open urban space. In: Abitare Insieme: Dimensione Condivida del progetto di futuro, pp.921-932. Napoli, Italy: CLEAN Edizioni. ISBN 978-8884-97-544-7. Full download.
(24) Leontiadis, S. (2015). The Architecture of Public Open Urban Spaces: Syntax and Representation. Riga, Latvia: SIA OmniScriptum Publishing. ISBN-10: 3639659902. ISBN-13: 978-3639659900. (556 pages). FULL BOOK. Amazon Books. Barnes&Noble.
(23) Leontiadis, S. (2015). Balkan Urban Realities; facing challenges of mobility. DaNS; Magazine for Architecture and City Planning, Vol.80 (Urban Realities): p.30. ISSB 0351-9775 CORBISS.SR.-ID 19320844. Online version.
(22) Leontiadis, S. (2014). Semiology: Civic Art+Mimesis+Representation. In: R. Amirante, C. Piscopo and P. Scala, eds. La Bellezza per il Ropso. Napoli, Italy: Clean Edizioni. ISBN 978-88-8497-260-6.
(21) Leontiadis, S. (2014). Layers Upon Layers (Book Review on R.V. Ritoe, Future Times Square: Compression vs.Distribution). (The East) Architect’s Newspaper, (New York): pp.21-22. Online version.
(20) Leontiadis, S., Noev, I. and Chen, J.H. (2013). SlowFlow. In: Europan 12 Results Catalogue: The Adaptable City 1. Montreuil, France: Editions EUROPAN. Jury report.
(19) Leontiadis, S. (2013). Glyptic Phenomena (Book Review on C. Klein, ed. Regenerative Infrastructures: Freshkills Park, NYC. Land Art Generator Initiative). The (East) Architect’s Newspaper, (New York): pp.21-22. Online version.
(18) Leontiadis, S., Emmanouilidis, C. and Koniordos, V. (2013). The Sustainability of Cultural Routes via Innovative Digital Heritage Applications and Services. In: C. Castellucci, V. San Vicente and C. Vallicelli, eds. Architecture, totalitarian regimes and memory in the 20th century; Contributions to the birth of a European Cultural Route, pp.54-61. Forlì, Italy: Casa Walden Editrice. ISBN 9788890927409. Full download.
(17) Emmanouilidis, C., Koutsiamanis, R.A., Tasidou, A. and S.Leontiadis. (2013). Digital Support System Development; Supporting Cultural Route sustainability via innovative digital heritage applications and services. In: T. Zupancic and S. Ifko, eds. Manual of Wise Management, Preservation, Reuse and Economic Valorisation; of Architecture, of Totalitarian Regimes, of the 20th Century, pp.176-182. Forlì, Italy: Municipality of Forlì. ISBN: 9616823329, 978-961-6823-32-6. Full download.
(16) Leontiadis, S., V.Koniordos,V. and Emmanouilidis, C. (2013). Thessaloniki Port Administration Headquarters. In: T. Zupancic and S. Ifko, eds. Manual of Wise Management, Preservation, Reuse and Economic Valorisation; of Architecture, of Totalitarian Regimes, of the 20th Century, pp.83-86. Forlì, Italy: Municipality of Forlì. ISBN: 9616823329, 978-961-6823-32-6. Full download.
(15) Leontiadis, S., Koniordos, V. and Emmanouilidis, C. (2013). Strategies for Revitalization and Reuse of the 20th Century Totalitarian Architecture as a Part of Heritage Management Processes. In: T. Zupancic and S. Ifko, eds. Manual of Wise Management, Preservation, Reuse and Economic Valorisation; of Architecture, of Totalitarian Regimes, of the 20th Century, pp.36-45. Forlì, Italy: Municipality of Forlì. ISBN: 9616823329, 978-961-6823-32-6. Full download.
(14) Leontiadis, S. (2013). Syntax of Intervention in Historically Significant Public Open Urban Spaces. In: S.Sonnenburg, ed. Branded Spaces: Experience Enactments & Entanglements, pp.237-259. International Conference on Contemporary Branding, pp.247-259. New York, NY: Springer VS. ISSN: 1128-8019. Full download. Amazon books. Google Books.
(13) Leontiadis, S. and Gubic, I. (2013). It is important to be conceptually innovative; an interview with Bernard Tschumi and a look into his work. In: DaNS; Magazine for Architecture and City Planning (Drustvo arhitekata Novog Sada), Vol.77. The Home. Online version.
(12) Emmanouilidis, C., S.Leontiadis, Koniordos, V., Koutsoudis, A., Pavlidis, G., Sidiropoulos, P., and Tsiafakis, D. (2012). Greece: Public Political, Cultural and Service Architecture. In: Transnational Survey: Architecture of Totalitarian Regimes of the XX century in Urban Management, pp.61-67, 132-136. Sofia, Bulgaria: National Institute of Immovable Cultural Heritage, NIICH. Full download.
(11) Leontiadis, S. (2012). Defining Civic Art Through Semiotic Connections. In: Third International Arquitectonics Network. Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya/ Barcelona Tech; Department of Architectural Projects. ISBN: 978-84-608-1197-8. Full download.
(10) Leontiadis, S. (2011). Syntax of Perceptual Security in the Contemporary Public Open Urban Space (Una sintassi di sicurezza percettiva nello spazio contemporaneo aperto pubblico urbano). In: M.Talia, ed. Urbanistica Online DOSSIER; Evoluzione dello Spazio Pubblico, pp.57-63. Rome, Italy: INU Edizioni. ISSN: 1128-8019. Full download.
(9) Leontiadis, S. (2011). The architecture of public open urban spaces; how to define a syntax in the contemporary urban environment. In: PhIDAC III International Symposium, pp.141-148. Novi Sad, Serbia: University of Novi Sad. ISBN: 978-86-7892-336-4. COBSIS SR-ID 266012423. Full download.
(8) Leontiadis, S. (2011). Venustas of Civic Art; Defining Beauty through Semiotic Communication. In: EURAU’10; Venustas; architecture, market, democracy, pp.60-66. Clean Edizioni, Napoli. ISBN: 978-88-8497-162-3. Full download.
(7) Leontiadis, S. et.al. (2011). An Urban Corridor for Thessaloniki. Hermes– ΕΛΤΑ Hellenic Post, 37(B’): 44-45.
(6) Leontiadis, S. (2011). Syntactic evaluations and definitions for the successful implementation of primary and secondary public open urban spaces. In: Cities without Limits; EURA Conference 2011, p.37. Copenhagen, Denmark: University of Copenhagen.
(5) Leontiadis, S. (2010). Abstract: Transforming Urban Space by Creating ‘Civic Art’; Defining What the Term Means. In: 14th IPHS Conference; Book of Abstracts, p.407. Cenkler Printing Office, Istanbul. ISBN: 978-975-561-374-1. Full download.
(4) Leontiadis, S. (2010). Transforming Urban Space by Creating ‘Civic Art’; Defining What the Term Means. In: 14th IPHS Conference, pp.181-187. Cenkler Printing Office, Istanbul. ISBN: 978-975-561-375-8 (tk), 978-975-561-379-6 (c.3). Full download.
(3) Leontiadis, S. (2010). Defining Civic Art Through Semiotic Connections. In: Architecture and Research; Third International Seminar Arquitectonics Network, pp. 77-78. ISSN: 15794431.
(2) Leontiadis, S. (2007). The International Home of Video Games. (MArch thesis dissertation). University of Hartford (116pages). Convention Facilities
(1) Leontiadis, S. (2006). Making Landmarks. Architectural Record, issue on ‘Record Houses’, 194(04): 24. ISSN: 0003-858X.
“Akira Kurosawa, parlando di Fellini, disse: ‘Fellini riesce ad esprimere i pensieri con le immagini’. Con questa espressione, che il massimo elogio, che si può fare di un regista, sintetizzò la grandezza del grande Federico Fellini(che io amo!). Oggi, afferrando l’attimo in cui internet ha ricominciato a funzionare (con lentezza purtroppo!), mi sono imbattuto nelle foto di “stefanieleontiadis.com”. Che dire? posso solo dire che mentre le foto scorrevano, si destavano in me emozioni forti: erano immagini, che esaltavano “l’identità” dei luoghi e dei paesaggi, tanto da farli sembrare dotati di ‘anima’.” [Vito Fantauzzo, Sept.1, 2013]
“I have maintained communication with Ms. Leontiadis over the last several years. She has kept me abreast of her newest interests and her teaching. Continuing with an intellectual outlet, Ms. Leontiadis has created her own areas of research. Typical of her thinking she has been making interesting connections between concepts as diverse as Physics and Matrix Energies. This is certainly the norm for her, she thinks not linearly but trans-disciplinary. It is this unique approach that places her clearly above her peers, the Post-Modern Rhizome that we would hope from all our students. From painting, drawing, athletics, music and studies concerning the progression of science and the understanding of the Universe, she can bring together various theories and make use of them. This may appear that she is unfocused, but this conclusion is unfounded. She is able to synthesize and find unique connections in a creative thinking process. Ms. Leontiadis is open-minded and disciplined in her search for the common threads of subjects such as aesthetics and psychology. She is sincerely curious about the understanding of the world associated with the formation of buildings. These skills extend to an accomplished ability to interpret context and understand the complexities of urbanism. Her careful understanding also touches on the relationships between systems and networks at many scales. She is tremendously articulate and intelligent; she asks the questions that find the heart of any argument. Enthusiastic and charming, she is responsible and respected by her colleagues. Her various talents combining athletic, artistic, architectural, written, and intellectual expertise, give her the grounding necessary for advanced studies”. [Kendra Schank Smith, August 2008 (Ph.D., M.Arch, M.A., Chair of the Department of Architectural Science and Associate Professor, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada)]